The application BQ Firmware Flash Tool has been developed by BQ to allow any user to easily flash a mobile device.
This operation, also known as a hard reset, restores the device to its factory state and installs the latest version of the firmware available for your device directly from BQ’s servers.
In order to flash it is necessary to delete all the information and settings stored on the phone. Before using the Flash Tool, you need to save any files you want to keep onto your computer, hard disk, cloud, etc.
Devices supported by BQ Firmware Flash Tool 1.0.0
The following devices support version 1.0.0 of the application:
- BQ Aquaris E5 4G
- BQ Aquaris E5s
- BQ Aquaris M5
- BQ Aquaris X5
- BQ Aquaris X5 Cyanogen
Below are the resources necessary to flash devices using the Flash Tool:
- Internet connection
- USB – micro USB cable
Compatible operating systems:
Version 1.0.0 of the BQ Firmware Flash Tool has been tested with good results in operating systems Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 (in Windows 7 compatibility mode), Windows 10 (in Windows 7 compatibility mode) and Ubuntu 14.04. In other versions of Windows the application also responds but the drivers may need to be updated manually.
Installing the application in Windows
Run the installation application corresponding to your system (32 or 64 bit) which you will find in the Windows folder of the file BQ Firmware Flash Tool.zip. As it is a .exe file, you may need administrator permission. The BQ Firmware Flash Tool Wizard will open automatically.
1. Select the language and click Accept to begin.
2. Accept the terms of the license agreement. Click Next.
3. The next step gives us the option to create an icon on the desktop. Make your selection and click Next.
4. The wizard will inform you that it is ready to begin installation. Click Install.
5. The installation process can take a few minutes. Once completed, click Finish.
Installing the application in Ubuntu
Run the installation application corresponding to your system (32 or 64 bit) which you will find in the Ubuntu folder of the file BQ Firmware Flash Tool.zip.
The package manager will open automatically. Click Install.
Once installation is complete, it is advisable to restart the computer to ensure that the Ubuntu graphical interface updates and the shortcut to the BQ Firmware Flash Tool appears in the menu.
Unlocking the phone startup manager
For security reasons your smartphone is preconfigured not to allow flashing. To complete the flashing process you first need to adjust some settings. More specifically, you need to unlock the phone startup manager. Below are the steps to follow for phones running Android OS:
If the status of your device does not allow you to carry out the process laid out below (for example if the device doesn’t start up correctly, or because the touch function doesn’t respond) skip this step and go directly to the next section: Flashing the device.
1) In Settings, go to Developer Options. By default, this option is hidden in the menu, so you will probably have to unhide it. To do so, go to Settings and select About device.
2) Now go to Build number. Press Build number repeatedly to unlock Developer options.
3) Developer options will now appear in Settings. Select it and access the menu..
4) Enable the option OEM unlock.
Your phone is now ready to be flashed.
Flashing the device
The flashing process means that all data, music, photos, applications and settings stored on the device will be deleted.
If you want to conserve any of the data stored on your device, you should save it somewhere before going any further.
1. Run the application BQ Firmware Flash Tool.
The user interface of the application is as follows:
2. Switch the device on in FastBoot mode. To do this, first make sure the device is switched off. Simultaneously hold the power button and volume down button.
3. Connect the device to the PC using the USB cable. The application will recognise the device, automatically detect its series number, and show it in the interface. Click Connect device.
4. BQ Firmware Flash Tool will now check the cloud for the latest version of the firmware available for the device connected. If the latest version is not already downloaded on the computer, the firmware will be downloaded automatically.
Once the process of checking for and downloading (if necessary) the firmware is complete, the application will inform you of the latest available version, which will also be the one installed on the device if you continue the process.
For security reasons your smartphone may be preconfigured not to allow flashing. If so, the application will show the following message:
If for any reason your device has already been unlocked, the previous screen will not appear and you can omit step 5 of this manual and go straight to step 6.
5. Click Unlock device.
There are now two possible scenarios, depending on whether the manual OEM unlocking was carried out as described in the section Unlocking the phone startup manager in this manual
5.a. In the event that the phone’s developer functions and OEM unlocking have been enabled, the flashing process will continue below.
After pressing Unlock device the device will restart and automatically unlock. This operation may take a few minutes. The application will wait.
Once the above process is complete, the device will remain on in normal mode. Switch off the phone (there is no need to disconnect it from the PC).
Switch the device on again in FastBoot mode. To do this, simultaneously hold the power button and volume down button. The application will detect the device again, but this time it will be unlocked. The button in the application which allows you to continue the process will be enabled. Press Continue.
5.b If the status of your device has not allowed you to perform manual OEM unlocking, the application will request an unlock code.
To obtain this code, contact BQ Support at:
6. Once the device has been correctly unlocked and the corresponding firmware has been downloaded, the application will tell you which version of the firmware will be installed in the flashing process.
7. Press Flash Firmware to begin the flashing process. This operation may take a few minutes, with the Flashing system step taking the longest.
8. Once the process is over, the application will inform you of the result of the flashing process.
9. The device will automatically restart with the new version of the firmware installed and ready. The first time the device restarts after the installation of the new firmware will take slightly longer than usual.