Is there any guidance I can replace the Ubuntu with Android for M10 FHD?

• Hey there, I bought two of Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition in the last week and have it shipped to Taiwan. Then I found it's quite hard for me to use daily because the keyboard input system is quite frustrated for Taiwan Users who are typing in Traditional Chinese.If I may, can I ask if there is any chance or guidance I can wipe the Ubuntu Touch system on the M10 and replace it with Android?Thank you so much for the understanding.

Lucien Lin
  • Most valued answer
  • A Ossorio
    A Ossorio
    Moderator  (197) Answer ✓
    Hi @lucienchlin and @Phab82,

Thank your for your posts.

You can certainly install the Android firmware on you Aquaris M10 Ubuntu, and you may switch back to Ubuntu in the future once the system has matured further.

You can download the latest firmware for the Aquaris M10 FHD Android from the following link:
    http://www.mibqyyo.com/en-download/categorias/aquaris-m10-fhd/

The Aquaris M10 HD firmware is available from:
    http://www.mibqyyo.com/en-download/categorias/aquaris-m10-hd/

Please check out our our article where we explain how to carry out the installation:
    http://www.mibqyyo.com/en-articles/2015/09/16/ubuntu-android-installation-process-for-bq-aquaris-e4-5-and-e5/#/vanilla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

Note that the first part of the article illustrates how to carry out the procedure on an Ubuntu powered computer, whereas the second half of the article explains how to do it on a Windows computer.

If you will do it from an Ubuntu computer, you will need to use our updated flash tool for Ubuntu.

If you come across any problems when carrying out the installation please let us know.

Regards,  

A. Ossorio

BQ Technical Support

Official Support Channels:       Phone Assistance Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 17:00        Formulario-de-soporte_inglaterra.png
  • 19 Answerssorted by
  • I would also be interested to know how to replace it with Android.
    Thanks.
  • A Ossorio
    A Ossorio
    Moderator  (197) Answer ✓

You can certainly install the Android firmware on you Aquaris M10 Ubuntu, and you may switch back to Ubuntu in the future once the system has matured further.

You can download the latest firmware for the Aquaris M10 FHD Android from the following link:

Please check out our our article where we explain how to carry out the installation:
    http://www.mibqyyo.com/en-articles/2015/09/16/ubuntu-android-installation-process-for-bq-aquaris-e4-5-and-e5/#/vanilla/discussion/embed/?vanilla_discussion_id=0

Note that the first part of the article illustrates how to carry out the procedure on an Ubuntu powered computer, whereas the second half of the article explains how to do it on a Windows computer.

If you will do it from an Ubuntu computer, you will need to use our updated flash tool for Ubuntu.

If you come across any problems when carrying out the installation please let us know.

Regards,  

A. Ossorio

BQ Technical Support

Official Support Channels:       Phone Assistance Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 17:00        Formulario-de-soporte_inglaterra.png
  • srayuso
    srayuso
    Member  (8) Answer ✓
    Hi all,

I just installed Android on the M10 following that guide. Worked like a charm on the first try.

It's a pity Ubuntu is still not mature enough. I will be back to it as soon as it supports multiuser and full on-screen keyboard.

Thanks!
    Roberto.
  • Hi!

I wonder whether I would lose the warranty if I install Android on my M10. Would I?

Thanks in advance!

Fernando.
  • A Ossorio
    A Ossorio
    Moderator  (197)
    ¡Good morning!

@srayuso many thanks for letting us know. The Ubuntu Touch version of the tablet is definitely going to receive improvements regularly to address things like the on-screen keyboard issue, or to implement the possibility of install many more Ubuntu Desktop apps. We have also reported the lack of multi-user support for it to be considered.

@Fernando Ferre the warranty will not be voided. You can install the Android version and your warranty will still be valid. Also, remember that you can switch back to the Ubuntu firmware at any point.

Regards,
    A. Ossorio

BQ Technical Support

• Thanks!
    I'm already installing Android.  :-)
  • Hi. It is nice to see that ubuntu buyers are being able to officialy install Android on their devices.
    I have a M10FHD Android version and would like to install Ubunto on it?
    Being a BQ owner and user, and having the same hardware how can I change my firmware?
  • ShR3K
    ShR3K
    Member  (8)
    @A Ossorio
    Thanks for this tuto ! But I can't download ubuntu for my M10HD. There is no ubuntu version downloadable and I can't download the FHD version because of my S/N.
    Can't you help me
  • Omarly
    Omarly
    Member  (3)
    srayuso dijo:
    Hi all,

I just installed Android on the M10 following that guide. Worked like a charm on the first try.

It's a pity Ubuntu is still not mature enough. I will be back to it as soon as it supports multiuser and full on-screen keyboard.

Thanks!
    Roberto.

I did a HR to android too, from my u 16.04. 

It did not start automaticly, but from another forum, i got the info of click the download button fast after usb was connected.

That worked for me.

Omarly
  • A Ossorio
    A Ossorio
    Moderator  (197)
    Hi @ShR3K,

I can see that you already contacted Technical Support to get the firmware file for you Aquaris M10 HD. I hope that the tablet is running smoothly now but if you find any issue please let us know.

Thank you for that @Omarly. What you have noted is correct and a good pointer for everyone else. Waiting for too long before pressing the "download" button on the flashing tool may prevent the process from even starting.

Regards,

Regards,
    A. Ossorio

BQ Technical Support

• I have tried to install android as well (Aquaris M10), with the aid of above suggestions. To get things going I needed to use a W10 machine. The drivers got installed; the flash tool did its job. The final cnfirmation dialogue appeared: "Download OK". I disconnected the tablet. And then: nothing. Pressing the on-switch makes it vibrate, the backlight seemingly turns on. But that's it. I can press the on button again and the tablet will agina vibrate. But that's it.

I can connnect through usb to the tablet: there are folders I can open. But the tablet will not start any operating system.

I repeated the installation process; same "succes". So, still no working tablet.

I'd very much like some advice, please, on how to proceed from here. Thank!
  • Hi. It is nice to see that ubuntu buyers are being able to officialy install Android on their devices. I have a M10FHD Android version and would like to install Ubunto on it? Being a BQ owner and user, and having the same hardware how can I change my firmware?
  • I like to make a YouTube Video on my German YouTube Linux channel, how to install Android on the Ubuntu tablet, and how to install Ubuntu Touch again if there is already Android on it.

Would it also possible, to do a dual boot installation on the Aquaris M10 FHD?

My German YouTube-Channel with Linux
    https://www.youtube.com/user/WarumLinuxBesserIst
  • What Can I do for back with ubuntu after install android on Bq aquaris M10 HD?

Thanks.

A Ossorio dijo:

Regards,  

• Well, as I've heard from my colleagues there's no special guide for it. But they've done this operation earlier. You can ask this guys http://qatestlab.com/services/we-are-professionals-in/installation-testing/ for help.
  • Hi, 

When I followed the guide on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04-5 I got Serial COM Error. I tried to add my user to the tty group (I added my self to many groups but I think tty was the one that worked but you might try modem and any old group that might be associated with a serial port - those was actually very important at the stone age). 

Just a hint of anyone need it. 

Also, you must use the 64 bit Ubuntu, the SP flash tool is a 64 bit binary and wont work on a 32 bit environment. 

Also, I have made a ton of tries an spent hours on this matter earlier using ubuntu 16 and it never worked. Ubuntu 12.04 (as the article states) and the group was everything I needed to do to get it work. 50:th time a charm ;) 

No time to tell how to add yourself to a group - I have to try out Android. Try the duck duck go search engine and search for "!man gpasswd" and you will have the answer. 

Regards, 
    Erik

• M0j0
    M0j0
    Member  (1)
    Is it pssible to dual boot Android and Ubuntu. Can we boot from external devices. Tia.
  • How to check if my tablet is FHD or HD? and I am getting this error.

Object::moveToThread: Cannot move objects with a parent
    Connecting to BROM...
    Scanning USB port...
    Search usb, timeout set as 3600000 ms
    Timeout(3600000 ms) for searching USB port!
    SearchUSBPortPool failed!
    Failed to find USB port
    Connect BROM failed: S_TIMEOUT
    Disconnect!
    BROM Exception! ( BROM ERROR : S_TIMEOUT (1042)

[HINT]:
    )((ConnectBROM,../../../qt_flash_tool/Conn/Connection.cpp,85))
  • skm
    skm
    Member  (1)
    I'm unable to flash my M10 HD Ubuntu tablet with android. I'm running the flash tool from Ubuntu 16.10. I've tried variations on the instructions here.

• I tried with modemmanager installed.
    • I tried without modemmanager installed.
    • I tried with the device booted in to Ubuntu
    • I tried with the device in bootloader mode.

The tool seems to detect when I plug and unplug the device, but this is all the output I get and it never starts to load data.

» sudo ./flash_tool.sh
    QObject::moveToThread: Cannot move objects with a parent
    Connecting to BROM...
    Scanning USB port...
    Search usb, timeout set as 3600000 ms
    add@/kernel/slab/:atA-0000192/cgroup/dentry(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0001024/cgroup/mm_struct(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0000064/cgroup/anon_vma_chain(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/anon_vma/cgroup/anon_vma(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0000200/cgroup/vm_area_struct(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0000192/cgroup/cred_jar(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/inode_cache/cgroup/inode_cache(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/radix_tree_node/cgroup/radix_tree_node(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/proc_inode_cache/cgroup/proc_inode_cache(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/sock_inode_cache/cgroup/sock_inode_cache(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/ext4_inode_cache/cgroup/ext4_inode_cache(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:t-0000256/cgroup/kmalloc-256(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:t-0001024/cgroup/kmalloc-1024(4800:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

remove@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0

remove@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.1

remove@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2

add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2

add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0

add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.1

add@/kernel/slab/:atA-0000192/cgroup/dentry(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/inode_cache/cgroup/inode_cache(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/sock_inode_cache/cgroup/sock_inode_cache(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/proc_inode_cache/cgroup/proc_inode_cache(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:t-0000256/cgroup/kmalloc-256(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:t-0000512/cgroup/kmalloc-512(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/ext4_inode_cache/cgroup/ext4_inode_cache(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/shmem_inode_cache/cgroup/shmem_inode_cache(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0000192/cgroup/cred_jar(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0001024/cgroup/mm_struct(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0000200/cgroup/vm_area_struct(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/radix_tree_node/cgroup/radix_tree_node(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0000064/cgroup/anon_vma_chain(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/anon_vma/cgroup/anon_vma(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:t-0001024/cgroup/kmalloc-1024(4812:systemd-hostnamed.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:atA-0000192/cgroup/dentry(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0001024/cgroup/mm_struct(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/inode_cache/cgroup/inode_cache(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0000192/cgroup/cred_jar(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0000200/cgroup/vm_area_struct(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/radix_tree_node/cgroup/radix_tree_node(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:tA-0000064/cgroup/anon_vma_chain(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/anon_vma/cgroup/anon_vma(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/proc_inode_cache/cgroup/proc_inode_cache(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/sock_inode_cache/cgroup/sock_inode_cache(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/ext4_inode_cache/cgroup/ext4_inode_cache(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:t-0000256/cgroup/kmalloc-256(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)

add@/kernel/slab/:t-0001024/cgroup/kmalloc-1024(4824:systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service)